Saturday, October 13, 2007

Character development...

It's odd, I've worked on these characters for almost a decade. Only one other writer than myself has ever tackled them in print (and that would be the overly talented Dan Brereton), yet there are aspects about these creations that I had never put into words before.

Working on a television show is an interesting creative stretch. It's not enough to express your character for a single scene. You have to say that this is definitively how said character will ALWAYS react. And you have to apply appropriate conditional modifiers... "Little Gloomy is cynical" is not sufficient. "Little Gloomy is cynical about the sensational, and terribly excited about the mundane" is a start.

So anyway, I had to write out lengthy descriptions of the psychology of each character. How they view the world and how they view each and every supporting character. How they react and how their reactions are different dependent upon who they are in the company of. I hadn't thought overly much about this before, yet the writing only took a couple of hours. It was all there in my head, despite not actively thinking about it.

But you few who read this blog do not care. You only want pretty pictures. I will oblige. Here are two more character illustrations by Eric Jones, colored by Rikki Simons:




This is the scientist, Simon Von Simon. He's evil and apparently unaware that zombies are preparing to eat him.


This is Mummy. He only speaks in hieroglyphics. How we'll resolve that one in television has been troubling me for years and years.

1 comment:

Lillian O said...

Again,this is truly wonderful! And no,I do not just want pretty pictures. Anything would appeal to me! ;)